No announcement yet.

Spirits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried the Special Blend, but it was years ago, I don't remember it being so special. That said tastes change, and so can a product. The Lot 40 has been stirring up some praise apparently. Haven't tried it myself, but it's on the list.

Comment

Never heard of Jim Beam's Devil's Cut but see that it's 45%. Let us know how it is! I can say out of the two juggernaut bourbons, Jack Daniels and Jim Beam, I always gave the edge to the slightly cheaper Jim Beam.

Cracked this bottle open Friday evening, but next morning realized I've been drinking too much lately so am drying out for a week. I'll probably dip back into this one Saturday. It's super-smooth, and I actually prefer the sharper 15, but Glenlivet makes an excellent scotch for each age I've tried and is usually reasonably priced.

SAM_7246.jpg
      Last edited by bugen; 09-20-2016, 04:05 AM.
      “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
      -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I liked the Devil's Cut, very well rounded bourbon, and good bang for your buck. As for Jack Daniel's, I don't think it's technically a bourbon, but a Tenessee whiskey. Not sure what makes it different to be honest, haven't had it much other than mixed over at a friends place.

I hear ya about the drinking, too much whiskey can give you rot gut. Was feeling pretty off and laid off for the majority of the week. Thing is, I don't drink a lot at a time, but like to have a small nightcap. I guess getting older doesn't help much either.

I'm interested in trying The Glenlivet, a little out of my price point at the moment though, and have so many others to try yet too.

Comment

Huh, I always thought it was a bourbon. I read the wiki and the site says it meets all the requirements for a bourbon but the producers choose to classify it as a Tennessee whiskey. It's a bit messy, with the site also saying Tennessee whiskey is a straight bourbon produced in Tennessee. But you're right, the makers specifically call it whiskey, not bourbon. So shall it be.

A few weeks ago I reconnected with a childhood friend from Colorado who's quite a drinker, and we've spent hours on the phone on a few different nights getting pretty sauced like we were sitting across from each other at a bar talking old times. It's been fun, but yeah, it's taken a toll.
          -John Barth

Comment

It's bar restocking day!

My local store had a special on Highland Park 12, my favorite, and when I told the guy I was going to buy them out he directed me to the side of the store where they had the gift set boxes for the same price. Since the gift set comes with a extra minibar-sized Highland Park Dark Origins (excellent line, and pricey), I snagged 3 of the sets for $40 each.

Also they had the gift set box of Glenmorangie 10 for $32, which came with a couple of different 12-year-old samples aged in different casks. I love the Glenmorangie 10 but haven't tried any of their other lines, so looking forward to this.

SAM_7322.jpg

SAM_7328.jpg

SAM_7329.jpg

SAM_7331.jpg
            -John Barth

Comment

Very nice! And well priced too! I saw the Glenmorangie gift set here, but it runs at $70, and even the regular at $65, plus tax. Yeah the dollar is different, but not that different. Even JW Black runs at $57 plus tax. I try to stick around that price $40-70 give or take, but I went slightly over recently with a beautiful bottle of Welsh single malt Whisky called Penderyn Legend. Fantastic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                Huh, I always thought it was a bourbon. I read the wiki and the site says it meets all the requirements for a bourbon but the producers choose to classify it as a Tennessee whiskey. It's a bit messy, with the site also saying Tennessee whiskey is a straight bourbon produced in Tennessee. But you're right, the makers specifically call it whiskey, not bourbon. So shall it be.

A few weeks ago I reconnected with a childhood friend from Colorado who's quite a drinker, and we've spent hours on the phone on a few different nights getting pretty sauced like we were sitting across from each other at a bar talking old times. It's been fun, but yeah, it's taken a toll.
                It's essentially bourbon that's been slow filtered through charcoal. It changes the flavor profile quite a bit from a traditional bourbon.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

So this isn't my picture, because I don't have any right now to actually take a picture of, but this company makes some of my hands down favorite Whiskey / Bourbon. They call most of them whiskey, but some have a more bourbon flavor profile than most whiskeys do. It's a bit pricey for such small bottles, but if you see it around and you like Whiskey give it a shot. It's extraordinarily good.

Instagram

Comment

Hasn't shown up on this side of the border, unfortunately. But I will keep my eyes peeled the next time head I head South!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                      It's essentially bourbon that's been slow filtered through charcoal. It changes the flavor profile quite a bit from a traditional bourbon.
                      Good info, thanks. And in that light it makes sense that I always like Beam and Makers Mark significantly more than Jack.

Love the design of the Hudson Whiskey bottles. With the classy shape and especially those two labels on the left, the days of prohibition seem all too real. I'll probably try that single malt if I ever come across the line--thanks for the tip.

I should also say I cracked that Glenmorangie and have never enjoyed this scotch this much. It's amazing!
                      -John Barth

Comment

^ Very mild, a bit of an apple taste, methinks. I like it too.

Comment

Here's another one, though this one isn't a Spirit, it's a beer (also not my picture, mine are all in the recycling bin). If you like beer try and find this, it's probably my new favorite. As a beer enthusiast who likes many different kinds I find this subtly complex and highly enjoyable. It's made with honey from bee's who pollinate Rouge's hop farm. It's really maybe the best beer I've every had. It's so good it inspired me to brew a Honey Kolsch of my own this past weekend and I can't wait to drink it.

Instagram

Comment

I know that it's just a picture - but DAMN that looks good.

I finally kegged my 10g batch of pumpkin ale - my first - You Owe Me Restitution Ale.

Plus I need to mail out a number of bottles of oak aged absinthe milk stout. Sooo good.

Comment

Theli, I'm not sure how shipping of liquor to Canada works, but I know these guys ship in the states. This is the local store I'm always visiting that constantly has such great prices. There's a possible move to Colorado in my future and I'm going to keep these guys in mind, as there's a good chance they'll be more cost effective than buying good scotch locally. They might be worth checking out for you:

https://www.missionliquor.com/
                              -John Barth

Comment

Andrew: We have hight axes on liquor here. So every liquor tends to have an automatic mark up. It also seems that they are planning a mandatory minimum pricing for certain kinds of alcohol here soon, which until now has only been implemented for beer. In addition to that, we cannot import alcohol except through the liquor commission here, or literally physically getting it ourselves and bringing over the border (even then, there is a limit) so there's no way of getting around the tax. Not looking forward to that...

Jason: Been drinking the pumpkin ale's a lot lately, it only comes this time of year so I take advantage of it. My favourite so far is a local brewer called Fort Garry the brewed an oaked pumpkin ale call Happy Jack. I have another one in my fridge aged in oak Bourbon barrels called Crookeder Tooth from Phillips Brewing that I am looking forward to cracking into soon. I wish I could try your brews, they sound delectable.

Dan: I like Rogue, generally, but do not find them worth the price a lot of the time, that said my biggest displeasure with them is the extreme hopping they love to do. Every now and again that's fine, but not all the time. This being a Kolsch is less likely to suffer from that so I will keep my eyes open for it to show up on the market here. Had a great lime Kolsch the other day, it was US brewer but I can't recall the name.
                                Last edited by Theli; 10-11-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X