Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spirits

Any scotch drinkers here?

I’ve got my 3 favorite single malts and while I’ve ventured out of the price range a few times I consider $60 a bottle to be about the max without getting hoity-toity.

I’ve been looking into blends lately and have found a few great ones that pound their competitors. Black Grouse and Johnnie Walker Black are both excellent and can be found in the vicinity of $25 if you really search. Bank Note is no joke and that’s even cheaper (and significantly stronger). Famous Grouse is the #1 brand sold in Scotland. It’s dirt cheap and pretty good too, but not really in the league of the Black Grouse. I've enjoyed lots, including many of the popular, sometimes legendary blends like Chivas, Teacher’s and Buchanon’s, but if stepping up to more expensive blends that start competing in price with single malts I'll generally leave them alone in favor of the latter.

My favorite scotches break down like this:

Single Malts

Highland Park 12 (~$50) – Honey, leather, smoke and peat with a spicy finish a mile long. Hands down the greatest scotch I’ve ever had (better than the HP 18 which runs ~$150). If you are stranded on an island for eternity, this is what you want.
    Talisker 10 (~$60) – Strong, peaty, smoky, lovely. A must to have around. It's sharp and exacting, and I’m not sure I’d like it any smoother (though I’ve yet to try the further aged lines—this is already pricey).
    Glenlivet 15 (~$50) – To me, the Glenlivets taste like life itself. The 12 is amazing, but the 15 refines the brand’s punch perfectly and smooths it to a finely-tuned orchestra, superior to the much more expensive and silky 18.

Blended Whiskeys

Black Grouse (~$30) – This one’s just really hard to beat in its class. You’ve got the smoke and peat that makes it an outstanding follow-up to Highland Park or Talisker, but as a blend it’s much smoother than either. This stuff is no joke and I’m not far from calling it the perfect, affordable blended Scotch whiskey (it’s currently being rebranded and repackaged as Famous Grouse Smoky Black and I’ve not tried the new one).
    Johnnie Walker Black (~$35) – This one’s kind of a gold standard. Everyone knows it as an outstanding drink containing much of the smoke and peat of Black Grouse but it doesn’t finish as long and is even smoother. You can’t go wrong with it.
    Bank Note (~$20) – This one seems to be a secret that no one yet knows, but it’s a monster of a scotch. It doesn’t have the smoke that I like so much but makes up for it with a sweet spice and a finish that takes all night.

That’s my list, those are my favorites, and it took me years to get that far. Below is what I'd consider the perfect scotch bar without going crazy on prices. If anyone's hording knowledge of favorite brands that have just got to be tried to be believed I'd love to hear your thoughts.

SAM_6682.jpg
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

I know nothing about the stuff, but there are occasional discussions on Timezone. Here's the most recent one I found.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=7209134&rid=0

Comment

Not much of a whisky person, but I know last year Crown Royal Northern Harvest was impossible to keep on the shelf around here (actually the entire country I believe). It was rated as the top whisky in the world 97.5/100 or something like that.

We have, what used to be world HQ for Hiram Walker & Sons here in Windsor, ON, but they are under some conglomerate now. Anyways...... J P Wisers, and Polar Ice Vodka is distilled here. They used to the main Canadian Club distiller, but for whatever reason, that is not a core brand anymore. My Dad worked there for 30 years (retired at 50!), so we always had various bottles of Canadian Club in the house when I was growing up.

I don't know how Crown or "CC" falls in line with what you have posted, but thought I'd share my thoughts above.

I'm more of a beer guy.

Comment

Another beer guy. Love them so much I got into home brewing three years ago.

Spirits intimidate me. I just don't know anyone who knows stuff so everyone always just tells me to mix stuff with sodas and I don't drink soda.

Comment

Home brewing intimidates me! A friend of mine got into it a few years back and seems to really enjoy it.

I like the Canadian whisky's, and have always enjoyed Crown Royal but am not familiar with their Northern Harvest. Sounds like a winner.

Dave, I read that timezone post, thanks. One aspect I'm not a huge fan of is when the drinks get too medicinal, and that happens a lot with some of the most popular and respected brands. The Monkey Shoulder blend keeps coming up. It's starting to approach that price where you might as well go with a single malt, but on sale it's not too bad. I'll probably have to try it at some point.
          -John Barth

Comment

And being a beer person - when we were on our cruise in January, I found a beer I really liked - brought home a 6 pack, but the problem is......even the LCBO (Liquor Control Board Ontario) or our Beer Store's don't carry it, so I guess I have to head back down to the Cayman Islands if I want more Caybrew!

I do always have a bottle of Crown Royal in the house though. I haven't tried the Northern Harvest yet, but now it's readily available.

Comment

CR Northern Harvest Rye is about the best bang for your buck as you can get. It's been sold out for months, and just came back in stock here Wednesday, so obviously I had to pick one up.

I've always been a rye fan as far as whiskey goes, Crown Royal's regular rye was a staple for me but found I preferred Gibson's 12 year for a traditional rye. As a young'en I was known to partake in Canadian Club and Five Star, not highly recommended.

I have been broadening my horizons this year, experimenting with bourbon (really enjoyed Bulleit orange label and their 10 year reserve) and more recently Irish whiskey. After that I will move onto Scotch.

I also like Rum from time to time, but find it a bit too sweet to drink regularly. For me though, when it comes to rum, Legendario 7 year Cuban rum and El Derado 12 year are tops.

Also a beer fan myself and have been greatly enjoying the explosion of craft brewing. Generally speaking though I love the nuances of an oak aged beer, such as Innis & Gunn are known for and Belgian style beers, dubbels, tripels and quads, saisons too.

Thanks for the post Andrew, it's actually very informative. It will aid in my future whiskey endeavours!

Edit: Also to note, I'm not one much for mixing. I prefer neat or on the rocks, but from time to time a cocktail or a rye and ginger ale is nice to mix it up. As far liquor I do not like, I don't really touch tequila or vodka.
              Last edited by Theli; 08-13-2016, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                Dave, I read that timezone post, thanks. One aspect I'm not a huge fan of is when the drinks get too medicinal, and that happens a lot with some of the most popular and respected brands. The Monkey Shoulder blend keeps coming up. It's starting to approach that price where you might as well go with a single malt, but on sale it's not too bad. I'll probably have to try it at some point.
                You're welcome, Andrew. My father worked for Irish Distillers for many years, and we always had a lot of product in the house. No Scotch, of course!

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. Theli, I've had the Bulleit rye and it was good, but I haven't tried the standard bourbon which everyone swears by--that's a solid choice. Irish whiskey is another that I haven't had in years. Bushmills is nice, but back in those days I was taking shots and not sipping, so I'm not too sure how whiskeys like that and Jamison hold up to the scotches.

Sipping was actually a key for me. Once I learned to stop taking shots the world of whiskey opened up, because I got to enjoy nuance without getting hammered. But I went through countless bottles of Maker's Mark, where the burn and the chaser was the consideration, before figuring that out.

For any rookies out there, the key is to think about whiskey in eyedropper amounts, never shots. Don't follow the movies! Take small sips, not slugs, and you'll see.
                  Last edited by bugen; 08-19-2016, 07:55 AM.
                  -John Barth

Comment

I'm more of a Burbon guy myself. Bullet or for expensive stuff there's a New York based small batch distillery that makes some really good stuff. I think the distillery is called Hudson, but I can't remember for sure.
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I agree about sipping Andrew.

I recently tried a Scotch that I quite enjoyed at a whiskey bar the other day, Glenmorangie (I don't know the vintage unfortunately), almost apple-y and floral, not like the peaty-er Scotch's I had in the past.

And picked up a new Irish whiskey, Teeling's Single Grain, nice burn but with subtleties of flavour that cheaper whiskey's lack.

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                      I'm more of a Burbon guy myself. Bullet or for expensive stuff there's a New York based small batch distillery that makes some really good stuff. I think the distillery is called Hudson, but I can't remember for sure.
                      Never heard of Hudson, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I've also never tried Bulleit's rye whiskey or any American ryes for that matter, always stuck with the Canadian ryes myself. Something to consider for the future though.
                      Last edited by Theli; 08-19-2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                        Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. Theli, I've had the Bulleit rye and it was good, but I haven't tried the standard bourbon which everyone swears by--that's a solid choice. Irish whiskey is another that I haven't had in years. Bushmills is nice, but back in those days I was taking shots and not sipping, so I'm not too sure how whiskeys like that and Jamison hold up to the scotches.

Sipping was actually a key for me. Once I learned to stop taking shots the world of whiskey opened up, because I got to enjoy nuance without getting hammered. But I went through countless bottles of Maker's Mark, where the burn and the chaser was the consideration, before figuring that out.

For any rookies out there, the key is to think about whiskey in eyedropper amounts, never shots. Don't follow the movies! Take small sips, not slugs, and you'll see.
                        Glad you brought that up. Went on our first cruise in January of this year (would do it again for sure!). One of the stops was Cozumel, and the excursion we selected (wife, daughter and I) was the Jose Cuervo Experience. They talked about the history of tequila, the different types, plus a cool museum of Mexican history/culture, and some authentic Mexican cuisine (No Taco Bell is NOT Mexican food ). Anyway, they let us sample some tequilas and we learned the same thing. Tequila isn't meant to get yourself hammered and do shots. The higher end tequila (which we brought a bottle home with us) is meant for sipping, and it also doesn't have the high sugar content like the cheaper party type tequila does. It was quite fascinating and we really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                          I agree about sipping Andrew.

I recently tried a Scotch that I quite enjoyed at a whiskey bar the other day, Glenmorangie (I don't know the vintage unfortunately), almost apple-y and floral, not like the peaty-er Scotch's I had in the past.

And picked up a new Irish whiskey, Teeling's Single Grain, nice burn but with subtleties of flavour that cheaper whiskey's lack.

Never heard of Hudson, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I've also never tried Bulleit's rye whiskey or any American ryes for that matter, always stuck with the Canadian ryes myself. Something to consider for the future though.
                          The rye is ok. The original is better though.

Instagram

Comment

^I kinda figured as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                              ^I kinda figured as much.
                              Yea I like rye stuff usually. I really like rye beer, though it's hard to find.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X