No announcement yet.

Spirits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't had the 9 year, but I specifically remember not liking Knob Creek at all.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

It is a bit better with a splash of water, I'll give it that. Tempers the burn a bit and let's a bit more of the caramel taste come out. Still it doesn't strike me as a terrible diverse or deep flavoured bourbon. I'll most likely be passing on their line in the future.

I'm going to be trying an experiment with a couple different whiskies I have in store. I picked up a pouch of tobacco yesterday, very fragrant, kind of caramel smell, and I am going to try an infuse it into some whiskies. I think I will try it with Jim Beam Devil's Cut, Crown Royal Northern Rye and maybe an Irish Whiskey like Tullamore Dew.
      Last edited by Theli; 10-28-2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Was at a Halloween party last Friday and decided try something new (but not too expensive) and grabbed a bottle of Lot No.40 Single Copper Pot Whiskey which had won best Canadian Whiskey of the year. A bit of a spicy flavor and tingle, and a hint of oak, generally a bit lighter flavor. To be honest though, overall it didn't really thrill me. Grab CR's Northern Rye for a better Rye at a better price in my opinion.

Comment

Saw a bottle of Templeton Rye today, a brand which a buddy used to rave about, but I decided to stick with scotch.

Dewar's 12 was on sale for a steal, so I picked up a couple of bottles. It's a very good blend that I haven't had in a while.

SAM_7763.jpg

Also on sale was one of my favorites from this store that's available seasonally: the Glenlivet gift set. The 12 year is a fantastic single malt, but the gift set also contains the minibar sized 15 year, which is one of my favorites. Instead of including another shot of the 18 year like the gift set normally does, this year it looks like they're including the Founder's Reserve, which I've heard is good but have never tried. Looking forward to it!

SAM_7760.jpg

SAM_7764.jpg
          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Let me know what you think of the Founder's Reserve when you try it, they have a bottle on for quite a good price right now at my liquor store.

I received a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label for my birthday a couple weeks ago. A nice lightly smoked, very smooth and easy drinking blend.

I just bought a bottle of Junneau 18 yo Armagnac yesterday, haven't cracked into yet, but I can hardly wait. Just beginning to explore some brandies/cognacs/armagnacs and this seemed like a good first purchase.

Comment

Cracked into the Junneau 18 year last night with my brother and a friend. We all quite enjoyed it. A little more bite than other cognacs, but not quite so much as from your average whiskey (and certainly not a good bourbon). The aroma is strong with orange peel. The flavor has some of that orange taste, but it's a slightly more bitter orange zest taste than the smell suggests. It has a slight medicinal taste, like cough syrup, but not overpowering and not offensive. The flavours and scents open as you sip it, and the oak and woodiness is also quite perceptible after a few sips. Really quite nice.

Comment

The Founder's Reserve is sweet and sour on the nose, with some fruit and a small serving of that Glenlivet-specific liveliness I like to call ‘green.’

The drink itself has caramel, vanilla and chocolate. I swear there’s the malted chocolate of Whoppers in there somewhere. It’s also got a fruit, but nothing too tart… perhaps a heavily sweetened grapefruit. It’s smoother than the 12 or 15—closer to the 18. At first the finish didn’t feel long, but after a couple of sips it lengthened to a short medium.

I’d bet after a nice dinner, something like a quality steak, a drink like this is a little slice of heaven and a great substitute for dessert. It’s sweeter than the other Glenlivets. I don’t think it beats the 15 and wouldn’t replace the 12, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I’m considering picking up a bottle for that occasional after-dinner delight.
                -John Barth

Comment

Based on your recommendation, and the good price, I decided to grab a bottle. I do quite enjoy it. Not a ton of depth, but still somewhat unique for a single malt. Light, with chocolate malts strong on the nose, that develop over time on the palate.

I also tried out a couple different whiskies at a local whiskey bar, man they have a crazy selection. I started with a Hibiki 12 year old single malt. My first Japanese whisky, it definitely has a Scotch taste and scent with a balanced peatiness, good depth of flavour and a long finish, but lacking defining character I think.

I followed it up with Penderyn Madeira, a single malt from Wales. I absolutely loved Penderyn Legend, so I knew I had to try this, and I was not disappointed. Not as light or fruity... or at least not the same fruit. It has a maltier taste, and a bit of smokiness, but what really resounds in the flavour is an incredible choke cherry dryness that leaves your mouth puckered. Very unique, I loved it. These guys make great whisky.

My whiskey infusing experiments have come to fruition as well. The Jim Beam Devil's Cut infused perfectly, and made for a great sipping and/or mixing bourbon. I tried doing the same with Crown Royal Northern Harvest, and I was a bit dissatisfied, which is unfortunate because after my first success I decided make more with this batch. Not as sweet, and slightly bitter, maybe ratios vary at higher amounts. Still okay for mixing into an old fashioned, but not too great on it's own. Last one I made is a Tullamore Dew infusion, haven't tried it yet, but I have my fingers crossed.
                  Last edited by Theli; 11-22-2016, 04:10 AM.

Comment

I've since tried the Tullamore Dew infusion and... it was nasty as hell. I'm tempted to just pour it out. Looks like bourbon is the way to go for a tobacco infusion, and I think have to quantify to a certain degree, less is more in this circumstance.

I've tried various different Scotch whiskies recently, most of which I have enjoyed to varying degree. I liked Laphroaig 10 year, really peaty! No subtlety with it, but it's distinct taste makes it a Scotch that I shard to compare. I've tried a few others, honestly most didn't stand out, and would probably have to try them again to really appreciate them... That said I did find one I absolutely loved! Glenkinchie 12 year, possibly the best Scotch I've tried. A nice balance of smoky, peaty taste with a sweeter palate than some and beautiful light orange scent. Just bought myself a bottle to enjoy over the holidays!

I've also experimented with brandy a bit recently. I've really been enjoying my Junneau 18 year Armagnac, so much so that I see my relatively expensive bottle depleting quick! I decided I needed to find a cheaper enjoyable second option. I still have more to try, but the mainstay of many, Hennesy VS, has matched my palate perfectly. Beautiful orange oil smell with a nice warm fruity body.

Comment

Tried another Cognac recently. Courvoisier VS. An absolutely beautiful smell, oaky and orange peel, but the flavour is less pronounced than the Hennesy VS. Some stone fruit, and raisins, still good. But I'll choose the Hennesy over this one next time.

Comment

Been going with Glenlivet 12 more recently, but just stocked up on more JW Black during a store special as well as a couple of bottles of Glenmorangie 10, which is so fruity it's a perfect drink to mix in every once in a while.

Also picked up a backup bottle of Highland Park 12, my favorite, because of how well this drink paired with the last Noir Night!
                        -John Barth

Comment

It's Rabbie Burns day, hope all the Scotch drinkers have had their share and all the poetry lovers have read a pair!

Comment

I'm going with Bat-scotch:

SAM_8235.jpg
                            -John Barth

Comment

That chin! Looks more like Bat-Leno!

I still need to try some Highland Park 12. Yesterday I went for my favourite so far, Glenkinchie 12. So delightfully spicy with a hint of fruit and peat. Thinking I might pick up a bottle of Edradour 10 this weekend. I believe that is one Daninsky had recommended.

Comment

It's been a while, but I do want to say that Edradour 10 is some of the smoothest scotch I've had. It's like butter.

I had a nice taste of Highland Park 18 on Saturday. What a great expression. Just the right mount of smoke, peat and brine. It reminds me of Smokehead, very similar actually, but a little more refined and smooth.

Comment

Working...
                                X