No announcement yet.

The Shining: The Deluxe Special Edition by Stephen King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks really nice! I'm looking forward to re-reading the book, especially with all the additional material.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
      That looks really nice! I'm looking forward to re-reading the book, especially with all the additional material.
      Completely agree. The extras alone make the version of The Shining to own. The art is some real nice icing on the cake though!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Completely agree. The extras alone make the version of The Shining to own. The art is some real nice icing on the cake though!
        This would be the edition I'd want King to sign if he ever did signings. It was my first King book and now it will be as complete as possible. It means a lot to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          This would be the edition I'd want King to sign if he ever did signings. It was my first King book and now it will be as complete as possible. It means a lot to me.
          It was the first SK book I ever bought, although I had read the prior books from the library.

This is my battered paperback from 1980.

P1090387.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
            It was the first SK book I ever bought, although I had read the prior books from the library.

This is my battered paperback from 1980.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19563[/ATTACH]
            I tried like hell to post a pic of my first copy of The Shining. But my image isn't on a web page. It's on my phone. So I can't insert it?

Comment

About The Shining - we know it's shipping in June, but what are the chances it will be delivered after June 9? That's right, after - I am on vacation that week and the only person left in the building who might be aware of things like mail is as likely as not to leave a large box outside for several days to warp in the humidity and rain. If it doesn't come until September, hey, I can live with that! I just want it to arrive after June 9.

Likely?
              Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

I passed on CD's THE SHINING because I already had the slipcased Gift edition from Subterranean Press. Keep thinking, though, that I made a mistake, given the extras, and that maybe I need to pick one up on the aftermarket to replace the Sub Press edition (and then sell it on eBay to offset the cost of the CD ed.). Don't have room on my already crowded shelves for two editions. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I just hope the aftermarket copies level off around issue price.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  ...maybe I need to pick one up on the aftermarket to replace the Sub Press edition (and then sell it on eBay to offset the cost of the CD ed.). Don't have room on my already crowded shelves for two editions...
                  Then make room! Seriously, it'd be a shame to sell off the SP edition. Not that I'd prefer it to the CD edition, but those monochrome illustrations are nice...
                  Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
                    Then make room! Seriously, it'd be a shame to sell off the SP edition. Not that I'd prefer it to the CD edition, but those monochrome illustrations are nice...
                    I agree. I think it was Confucius that once said, "You can always buy more bookcases, but you won't always find the CD edition of The Shining."

I might be paraphrasing, but it's pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                      I agree. I think it was Confucius that once said, "You can always buy more bookcases, but you won't always find the CD edition of The Shining."

I might be paraphrasing, but it's pretty close.
                      As sage as that Confuciusian advice is, I already have 17 bookcases, which is probably 15 more than my wife would prefer, so more bookcases are, unfortunately, probably not in the plan. As well, I have a stack of books waiting to go in to the bookcases, but no room in the inn...all shelves are already at critical mass, with some shelves having add'l books double-shelved face-out behind the spine-facing ones in the front. Thus, any book coming in means a book coming out...which nullifies any concept of multiple versions of the same book...so it's either the Sub Press or the CD editon, but not both. Heartbreaking, but true.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

As sage as that Confuciusian advice is, I already have 17 bookcases, which is probably 15 more than my wife would prefer, so more bookcases are, unfortunately, probably not in the plan. As well, I have a stack of books waiting to go in to the bookcases, but no room in the inn...all shelves are already at critical mass, with some shelves having add'l books double-shelved face-out behind the spine-facing ones in the front. Thus, any book coming in means a book coming out...which nullifies any concept of multiple versions of the same book...so it's either the Sub Press or the CD editon, but not both. Heartbreaking, but true.

Dang that Confucius!!! He must have been single!

Comment

Nope. Married at 19. He had a son and 2 daughters. I think he kept them in a separate residence, though, and had his main house filled up with bookcases with multiple copies of his Analects.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I passed on CD's THE SHINING because I already had the slipcased Gift edition from Subterranean Press. Keep thinking, though, that I made a mistake, given the extras, and that maybe I need to pick one up on the aftermarket to replace the Sub Press edition (and then sell it on eBay to offset the cost of the CD ed.). Don't have room on my already crowded shelves for two editions. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I just hope the aftermarket copies level off around issue price.
                            I discovered there is a Folio Society edition of The Shining which does come with a slipcase. I'm mulling over purchasing that F S edition. ~Cap
                            Last edited by c marvel; 05-20-2017, 06:01 AM.
                            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                              I discovered there is a Folio Society edition of The Shining which does come with a slipcase. I'm mulling over purchasing that F S edition. ~Cap
                              It's a nice edition, Cap. I had it at one point. There are some signed copies in the wild as well. Not sure how often they come up for sale though. Also, a lot of the slipcases arrived with dings and dents from across the pond.

Comment

I am really just looking at The Shining book and other Stephen King titles. I have a habit of just looking, snooping around. I wish I had not delayed and missed out on the CD version of The Shining.

On a completely different subject, I found a new book about a topic that has long fascinated me. The book is non fiction and over 700 pages. Due to the length I'll probably buy the unabridged Tantor audiobook or the Audible version.

Cap
                                Last edited by c marvel; 05-20-2017, 06:16 PM.
                                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X