No announcement yet.

Ender's Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anybody that has worked with Jerad before: is he pretty slow to respond to emails? I shot him a couple of questions a couple of days ago, but I haven't heard back. I don't know whether to re-send or just wait.

Comment

He's pretty much a one-man-army over there and from what I've gathered from some of the newsletters now's a very busy time for him. I get the feeling he's a conscientious guy and don't think I've ever waited for a response beyond a couple of days.
      “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
      -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Has anyone else here received this book from Centipede? I'm curious to hear if anyone else's copy came damaged.

(I have contacted Jerad about my first book, and he was great to work with. Except for the fact that the replacement copy is also damaged. Is this a normal occurrence and do I have unrealistic expectations as to what a $300 book should be like?

Book #1:
        book1_1.jpg
        book1_2.jpg

Book #2:
        book2_1.jpg
        book2_3.jpg
        book2_2.jpg

Comment

Not unrealistic at all, those damages are unacceptable at any price especially for $300

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
            Not unrealistic at all, those damages are unacceptable at any price especially for $300
            Jerad did e-mail me back within minutes of receiving the latest pictures. He's going to look at his remaining stock and see what's happening.

I'm trying not to get frustrated - especially since he's been great to work with so far.

I just want this book to be perfect.

Comment

Wow, that's terrible! Of course he'll fix it for you, but that's super-bad.

Mine has a couple of troublesome issues. The first, and this one's fixable, was the dust jacket was rubbed on two of the corners, like shelf-wear. We all know this can happen when you cram a book into a slipcase and I'm getting a new DJ.

The other 2 issues I've struggled with a bit. First:
              SAM_0111.JPG
              This looks like manufacturing to me, and part of the 'handmade' process. You can see the cloth is slightly folded over, then stitched - this isn't something that happened afterward.

Second:
              SAM_0113.JPG
              This photographs more severely than it looks with the eye. This looks more like an actual bump, but is not as severe as the manufacturing slight on the other corner. From this particular pic it kindof looks like manufacturing again. Another pic of same corner:
              SAM_0107.JPG

I dunno... this is among my favorite books of all time. It's a shame the run is having some issues. Like someone is having their kids help out or something at the factory.

Does anyone have an opinion on the 'bumps' on my two corners? I wish it was perfect, but I'm not sure this isn't exactly how it came off the line.
              Last edited by bugen; 10-24-2014, 01:47 AM.
              -John Barth

Comment

When I got the first book, I figured the glue that appeared on the pages was from the slipcase not being dry before the books were inserted, but I didn't see any glue residue on the inside so I wasn't sure.

Not sure if CP is using a new printer or something, but there is some definite quality issues this run. Which is quite unfortunate considering the prestige of this book.

I'm hoping that Jerad has some remaining stock that doesn't have these issues (he said that he's only heard from one person about similar damage to what I've experienced and said it's lousy luck that I've had two damaged books.)

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  When I got the first book, I figured the glue that appeared on the pages was from the slipcase not being dry before the books were inserted, but I didn't see any glue residue on the inside so I wasn't sure.

Not sure if CP is using a new printer or something, but there is some definite quality issues this run. Which is quite unfortunate considering the prestige of this book.

I'm hoping that Jerad has some remaining stock that doesn't have these issues (he said that he's only heard from one person about similar damage to what I've experienced and said it's lousy luck that I've had two damaged books.)
                  The thing with the glue is something that can happen during the binding process. And not from the slipcases, as typically the slipcases are manufactured by a separate company or division of the same company. It's something that we've seen here before, and can be easily missed if the books are slipcased at the manufacturer.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Good to know. Thanks Dan!

I'm still waiting for a response from CP. Fingers crossed something can be done. Otherwise I have to decide which defective version I want to keep.

Comment

For what it is worth, my copy came out exceptionally well. It looks like there is some glue or something in the slipcase (there's a streak at the bottom or something), but it doesn't bother me. I did manage to harm my dust jacket already (which was heartbreaking!), but that's on me, not CP.

This is my first CP book. I'm pretty impressed. I hope they do a Speaker for the Dead edition.

Comment

Sorry to hear that there have been a lot of problems with this book. I hope that it all gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Comment

Other than my condition issues, the book is gorgeous! I'll have to ping Jerad and see what's happening; hopefully I'll be able to own an exceptional copy and be able to enjoy it more.

And count me in as another vote for hoping there are other editions that follow. My wallet might disagree, but it's only money . . .

Comment

Gorgeous, indeed. Here are a bunch of pics for those interested:

SAM_0150.jpg

Ensemble
                            SAM_0119.jpg

Page 1 of original manuscript
                            SAM_0121.jpg

Cover sans dust jacket
                            SAM_0123.jpg

SAM_0127.jpg

SAM_0130.jpg
                            -John Barth

Comment

SAM_0131.jpg

SAM_0134.jpg

SAM_0137.jpg

SAM_0138.jpg

SAM_0141.jpg

SAM_0143.jpg
                              -John Barth

Comment

SAM_0144.jpg

SAM_0147.jpg
                                -John Barth

Comment

Working...
                                X