No announcement yet.

Ender's Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering the level of violence about to occur, those familiar with the work might find this picture especially striking:

giant.jpg

This is listed as available for pre-order today through the newsletter, though I haven't yet been able to navigate to it from the website.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Very cool. Centipede seems to have very good art in their books. What is the book priced at?

Comment

It's at $275 for the pre-order, and $295 list. Pretty damned expensive, but the book is important to me so I went for it. Seems like it will be a killer production.

If you email Jerad he'll add you to his mailing list and I'm sure he'd be happy to send you today's newsletter if you asked:

[email protected]

Here is the text from the newsletter:

Thank you for your patience with this title. Scheduled to start shipping at the end of September, Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card is now up for pre-order. This edition of Ender’s Game has quite a few special features, so I hope that you’ll bear with me while listing all of them. First off, this is the original novel, with new illustrations by David Ho. There are around six new color illustrations, including the wraparound dustjacket pictured below. There is a new introduction by Brandon Mull. There is a reprinted introduction by Orson Scott Card (it originally appeared in the 1991 edition). There is an afterword called Making Ender Smart, also a reprint, in the back of the book, along with some excerpts from Ender’s Game Alive. The book is flatbacked, Smyth sewn, with a full cloth binding, a color onlay on the front board, two ribbon markers, and printed endsheets. It is signed by Orson Scott Card, Brandon Mull, and David Ho. There is a second volume in the box as well. This is the author’s original typescript from 1975, printed in two colors and reprinted with his original letter to Analog. This second volume is 64 pages, sewn, and in a cloth binding, but does not have its own dustjacket. The two books are enclosed in a box with a pull-off lid, like we did with The Anubis Gates last year. The box has images from the dustjacket printed on it. The book size is 6.5 x 10 inches, about the same size as Stand on Zanzibar and The Forever War. The edition is limited to 300 copies for sale. The signature page is printed on a pretty fancy pearlescent paper and is protected by a translucent overlay. The book is $295 but is on sale for this week for $275. Be sure to click on the link below for the special price, as going through the website will not take you there.
        -John Barth

Comment

Wow, that's pricey. Chock it up to another book I want but can't afford at the moment. Maybe I'll put one on layaway at Camelot if they offer it.

Congrats on your purchase, bugen! I'm sure the book will be amazing.

Comment

It looks like it will be a really nice book. And if it is any bit similar to The Anubis Gates, it won't disappoint.

Comment

It is now available on the Centipede site if anyone is interested. The art looks stunning!

Comment

Got the email about this. Would be tempted to get it as an investment, but not at that price, lol!
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

I figure after Centipede sells out, this book is going to go for stupid amounts on the after market. Makes me wish I could pick this up now as I know I won't be willing to pay the prices resellers will be asking. Was trying to figure out a way, but after today's CDCC offer, I've widened that gap. Maybe I can sell a kidney...

Comment

lol, yeah, getting the book to resell it is the only reason I'd get this.
                    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                    Spoiler!

Comment

Purchased.

Do we know if it is numbered?

I've collected more of Mr. Card's books than any other author. I've now got a copy of every leatherbound book in the Ender series, so I was excited to stumble on this.

Any guesses on when this will sell out? I'd say a few more days.

Comment

I have never read this. I just found a cheap paperback copy so will read it one day. The art is great but not getting this. New cdcc tapped me out. Saving for the rest of Ronald Kelly essentials.

Comment

My experience with Centipede is their limited editions are numbered but I haven't seen it stated for this book.

I'm really jealous of your leatherbound series. Please post a pic of them if you get a chance! I've liked them all, though Ender's Shadow and Speaker for the Dead are particularly elevated. The scene with Ender and Human in Speaker was heartbreaking for all of the right reasons. Still, I expect Card can write for the rest of his life and not match Ender's Game, though I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong here.

The guy can write some stupid-scary horror, too (Maps in a Mirror). I'll never forget 'A Thousand Deaths' - this is one of the most horrifying and disturbing stories I've ever read.
                          -John Barth

Comment

See attached. My apologies: I'm not the best photographer.

Here are the limitation numbers (in the order on the picture):
                            First Meetings SubPress Edition (Not Leather Bound) 78/350
                            Ender's Game 109/200 (There are also 25 lettered copies.)
                            Ender's Game Easton Press
                            Ender in Exile 43/75 (There are also 25 lettered copies.) (I've still never figured out why Tor released this with a dust jacket over the leather!)
                            Speaker for the Dead Easton Press
                            Xenocide 166/300 (There are also 25 lettered copies.)
                            Children of the Mind 74/75 (There are also 25 lettered copies.) (For some reason, this seems to be the most difficult book on the list to get ahold of. It took me a LONG time!)
                            Ender's Shadow 1/200 (25 of these are lettered.)
                            Shadow of the Hegemon 36/100 (There are also 26 lettered copies.)
                            Shadow Puppets W/26 (There are also 100 numbered copies.)
                            Shadow of the Giant 26/100 (There is no mention on the limitation page about there being any lettered copies, and I've never seen one.)
                            Maps in a Mirror Easton Press

My copy of Speaker for the Dead is the only one without a signature, and it is my favorite of the series!

I've also got a few ARCs/Proofs, a first edition of Ender's War (the book club release of EG and Speaker), and one of the original copies of Analog.

Ender Collection Small.JPG

Comment

Nice set, that's really cool. The limited Ender's Game looks especially interesting; I've never seen it. I've got the 3 Easton Press, but the rest of mine are a ragtag bunch of reading copies, barely a 1st edition among them and most in bad shape.

20140916_211457.jpg
                              -John Barth

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                                Nice set, that's really cool. The limited Ender's Game looks especially interesting; I've never seen it. I've got the 3 Easton Press, but the rest of mine are a ragtag bunch of reading copies, barely a 1st edition among them and most in bad shape.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15744[/ATTACH]

My copy of EG is one of only about five I've ever seen; I paid just under $300. It is the 1992 limited edition. Card's bibliography lists another limited from 1991, but I've never seen a copy come up for sale, and I've watched Abebooks and eBay for years.

(Interesting side note about Card's bibliography: Xenocide, COTM, Shadow and the Hegemon, and Shadow of the Giant do not show a limited edition.)

I've only seen one copy of COTM and Ender in Exile. I've only seen two copies of Ender's Shadow, the other being a copy Tor recently gave away from their vault as part of one of their contests. Those three books seem to be exceptionally difficult to locate.

Just watch eBay and Abebooks. You can get the books, especially those in the Shadow series, relatively cheap. I saw a copy of Shadow of the Hegemon go for $33 last week on eBay. I paid about $150 for most of my copies, but in most instances, I think I overpaid (although the issue price is about $200, so in that sense, maybe I got a bargain?). The easiest books to find are the Shadow Series (except Ender's Shadow) and Xenocide.

Comment

Working...
                                X