Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General question for the writers out there....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General question for the writers out there....

When look at reviews of books online, I find there are actually quite a lot of comments stating something along the lines of this: There will be a good review but then in that review it will say the book as too long, and that the author must have had a page count quota.

Is this ever the case? I have seen reviews like more than a few times.

I think it likely is the case with some publishers or in certain contracts where an author is supposed to have a certain word count, or gets a bonus or something at a certain word count. I don't know this as a fact, but when a book seems to have a lot of repetition or padding it does make it seem like the author needed to have it that long.
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

I can't imagine a publisher would want a higher word count. I'm sure they can sell a 300 page hardback for the same price as a 400 pager. I think it's more likely, like mid-career King, when the editors relax or lose their control over a writer. The only time I can think an experienced, quality writer would really pad is to take a story that should be a novella, and stretch it out to novel length.

I have a tendency to go long in my writing, but others usually call me on it.
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Just looking for some opinions/options. I'm finishing up a sword and fantasy short story. Any ideas about who/where i should float it to??

Comment

Working...
        X