X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Nice site. Good looking site!

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
      Hey all, something happened during the Ellison Wonderland review that got me thinking.

I have very strong feelings on some issues (this one was racism and the climate of relations) that I felt I needed to edit from the review in an effort to keep from offending anyone. Not that my position can’t be defended, but it’s a highly-charged subject and this forum is such an overall positive place I didn’t want to see any of it devolve and it be my fault. Nevertheless, the viewpoint was a solid one and it bothered me not to include it, especially since it piggybacked on one of Mr. Ellison’s stories. And it wasn’t the first time this had happened.

So https://bugensbooks.com/ was launched. It’s taken me about a month to bring it up to date, and it means no more self-censoring. When the situation dictates, the gloves are coming off.

Physical books at the site have been extensively photographed. Some of these books contain 5-10 pics. Some contain 50 or more, I kid you not. If you’re unfamiliar with Centipede’s The Monk or The Golem¸ or Cemetery Dance’s IT, or Subterranean Press’s The Club Dumas, you’ll probably be amazed with the level of artwork and detail these guys put into the productions and I’ve tried to represent it in photos.

Also, feel free to get in spirited arguments with me (or each other) on the site if you have strong opinions! I’ll moderate if anything gets out of hand but am not really expecting situations coming to that. What we’ve got in common as genre and book lovers brings us together more than I would’ve thought—we’re practically family and often present a united front.

I still plan to post in Book Reviews for appropriate books and positive reviews but if I don’t like a book, it’s already been reviewed here, it doesn’t fit the forum or something gets too controversial I’ll post it only on my site instead of censoring or abstaining. And each book review posted at https://bugensbooks.com/ will have as many accompanying photos as necessary to capture the production. The site’s searchable, has an alphabetic index, a pull-down menu by author and is viewable by publisher.

So check it out if you feel like it, and happy reading!
      Nice job on your site. I look forward to reading your many reviews.
      “In every grain of wheat there lies hidden the soul of a star.”

Comment

Odd Adventures with your Other Father – Norman Prentiss

“He’d been a stone judge, keeping his emotions in check. Now, something broke through.”

This novel has an interesting framework where one part is a series of stories Celia’s father Shawn told her about her other father, Jack, who died when Celia was four. These stories detail adventures during a one-year road trip the two men took after college, and form the bulk of the narrative. Inter-stitched throughout these stories is the second main part, Celia’s camping trip, where she also visits the parents of her deceased father.

Jack can make Shawn see things, real hallucinations. While Shawn is the only one who can see the images Jack conjures, this special link is used constantly throughout the story, often with grisly visuals, adding color and strengthening the bond between the couple.

The road trip is like Americana with fantastical, horrific elements—an Easy Rider written by Neil Gaiman experience with a little Clive Barker grotesquery thrown in. The two men land in trouble constantly, which makes the best stories but also made me think of that Douglas Adams line in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, where he mentions 2,000 years ago a man being nailed to a tree for saying, “how great it would be to be nice to people for a change.”

The stories are individually strong and evoke a bit of nostalgia, both for the characters and the reader (and probably the author), and the emotional content of Celia’s narrative brings everything together nicely. You really get to know Shawn’s mindset through his various adventures, so when the camera pulls back to view the whole scene in Celia’s sections, not just Shawn’s POV from the individual stories, you can feel what the situation is doing to him without having to read it, especially by the end. High marks to the crafting of the tale.

Everything here, from plot and structure to theme and style, is handled with class. It has plenty of bizarre elements, but is mainly an imaginative, intimate story focusing on Shawn’s point of view, giving you time to get to know him like a brother.

4 stars

*Under Amazon’s rating system I’m giving this a 5—it’s better than just ‘good’
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]18493[/ATTACH]
        Andrew,

Thanks so much for posting that review here, at Amazon, and on your very cool new website. I'm honored!

--Norman

Comment

Thank you guys for your comments!

And Mr. Prentiss, the honor was mine. It's a beautiful story with some great horror, a tough combination. I hope it's picked up for a physical release as well.
          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Thank you guys for your comments!

And Mr. Prentiss, the honor was mine. It's a beautiful story with some great horror, a tough combination. I hope it's picked up for a physical release as well.
            Thanks, man. It was a tricky balancing act to write, that's for sure!

Re: print editions... I already have a limited edition deal lined up, but no trade edition currently planned...

Comment

Originally posted by Norman Prentiss View Post
              Thanks, man. It was a tricky balancing act to write, that's for sure!

Re: print editions... I already have a limited edition deal lined up, but no trade edition currently planned...
              That's great, congrats! I'll be sure to pick one up.
              -John Barth

Comment

So https://bugensbooks.com/ was launched. It’s taken me about a month to bring it up to date, and it means no more self-censoring. When the situation dictates, the gloves are coming off.
                Great site, Andrew! I always look forward to reading your reviews.

Comment

Thanks, Dave! Comments from you guys mean a lot to me, I really appreciate hearing from you.
                  -John Barth

Comment

Masters of the Weird Tale - Fred Chappell

Those familiar with Centipede’s Masters Series know that we're looking at a type of story where H.P. Lovecraft is king, with some stories even set in his fictional world. You do not need to read Lovecraft to enjoy these, but you’re going to get more out of them if you do. A few works such as “The Colour Out of Space,” “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” and “The Thing on the Doorstep” have my highest recommendations, and of course the popular “At the Mountains of Madness” and “The Shadow Out of Time” are key works.

If you haven’t, or won’t, read these, what you need to recognize about Lovecraft’s world is that his monsters cannot be fought, they cannot be beaten. We may as well be a packet of tea trying to take down Mt. Rushmore; we’ve already lost, just by being us. These stories aren't necessary like Lovecraft's, but some of them can be, and the influence of his mythos can be felt. He is neither the first nor the last, but king. Otherwise 'weird' characteristics involve the supernatural as a rule and take closer looks at our world through bent lenses.

This is my first cover-to-cover Masters read, purchased after reading Dagon, and I skipped the Intro. As mentioned before I do this a lot, especially when reading an author with whom I’m relatively unfamiliar. After finishing all stories and poetry I went back to the Intro and in retrospect this is what I’d recommend if you are unfamiliar with Mr. Chappell. Specifically, there’s a revelation about the story The White Cat and I think you’ll enjoy the story more if you get to this little tidbit after you’ve read the tale itself. But don’t skip the Intro entirely. It’s an enlightening dissection of the author’s feeling on the purpose(s) of dark fiction, boiling down to one central idea he expounds: In tenebris, lux (Shadows make light visible).

We open with:

Dagon
                    (novel)

“Suffering is simply one means of carving a design upon an area of time.”

Peter and his wife Sheila move to an inherited farmhouse and soon meet a neighbor, evidently a squatter on their new property whose family has lived there for generations. Their neighbor Morgan, at his bare dwelling, introduces Peter to Mina, who could just “eat him all up,” and Peter is uncomfortable with everything about these two. He chooses to ignore them and go about his business, and eventually discovers odd letters in the house using unknown language much of the time and speaking nonsensically at others. Time passes and Peter and Sheila begin arguing over trivial matters and their relationship starts to suffer.

Right here any mention of plot needs to stop to avoid spoilers. We’re about 1/3 in, the set is dressed and the players are ready.

I’m going to touch on a few of the key plot points in R’lyehian to maintain secrecy:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Ehye y-hafh'drn uln nw gotha, y-ya R'lyeh Cthulhu ya ph'throd k'yarnak Tsathoggua h'uaaah phlegeth ngR'lyeh, hrii R'lyeh uln Shub-Niggurath nnnTsathoggua kn'a hrii naflsgn'wahl shagg.

That being said, this isn’t a long book, but it will likely drain you anyway. It isn’t the primal emotions of fear or hate that take their toll like so much horror, it’s the pervading sense of resignation to fate, a Lovecraftian favorite. And here it’s about as brutal as I’ve ever seen it.

Dagon is a bleak, addictive masterpiece of dark, hopeless, painful fiction. Lovecraft would have been proud, though the language use here is much warmer than his own. This novel is highly recommended, but make sure you have a support system around you so you can always tell at a glance everything is alright. If you're alone in the dark, be careful.

5-

“Duet” – This is a beautiful, soulful tale of a middle-aged man performing beyond his abilities when singing songs at his friend’s funeral. It’s one of my favorites in the entire book. 5-

“Linnaeus Forgets” – The study of a strange plant with fantastic, miniature elements, conducted by the botanist, Linnaeus. 3-

“Ladies from Lapland” – Three men travel to Lapland for a job, but the assistants do all the work as the surveyor is more interested in sating himself with the local ladies. 3-

“The Snow That Is Nothing in the Triangle” – I didn’t care for this one, about a mathematician explaining a seemingly crackpot theory to his students told in an increasingly fragmented style. 1+

“Barcarole” – An excellent story, the composer Offenbach encounters a man exactly like himself in appearance, and after they part Offenbach becomes insistent on tracking the other man, Zimmer, down and finding out more about his life. 4-

“Weird Tales” – Another excellent story, this one’s about a few men interested in mythology and their encounters with H.P. Lovecraft himself, and a bizarre journey to another time. 4

“All human speech was merely the elaboration of an original shriek of terror.”

“The Somewhere Doors” – An obscure writer in the late 1930’s, specializing in small, often sad tales that rarely get published, receives a visit from a strange woman who tells him he has more admirers than he imagines, and tells him of a special door that he can take, once, to a land or time that may be better suited to him. One of my favorite stories, my heart breaks a little when thinking about it. You don’t want to miss this one. 5

“You’ve got woman trouble, Arthur? Hard to believe.”

“I’ve got an outstanding lack of woman trouble,” he said. “It’s hard for me to add up how much woman trouble I don’t have.”

“The Adder” – Another excellent story about a bookseller who receives and temporarily houses the Necronomicon, and notices the infernal book is affecting other beloved works. 4-
                    “Things have learned to walk that ought to crawl.”

“Ember” – A man who murdered his cheating girlfriend is thinking of how to get away, and decides to escape to Ember Mountain where no one goes after dark. 2+

“When I came out of Paradise, they were shooting at me.”

“Miss Prue” – The title character waits for her suitor, Mr. M, who recently committed suicide. 3

“Mankind Journeys Through Forests of Symbols” – A dream, physically manifested and blocking highway 51, is a problem, because “no dream of such scale and density had been reported before in North Carolina.” Authorities have to figure out what to do about it. 3+

“Alma” – Another excellent story, in a world where women are treated live livestock, a man thinks differently than other men do because he had his own woman once and “lived real close with her.” 4

“After Revelation” – After the world had been destroyed twice, science was outlawed. A man, jailed for practicing science, finds himself mysteriously released. 3

“The Lodger” - A well-read man has his mind invaded by the mind of a deceased acquaintance who was pompous, a scholar of obscure works, well-versed in occult arts and convinced of his own immortality. 4-

“Once you glimpse the vistas I can provide, once you taste the hidden knowledge I have acquired, you will find my outlook irresistible.”

“The Flame” - Men are attracted to different woman for lots of different reasons, but the relatively homely Andrea irresistibly attracts vampires. 3

“Gift of Roses” - An elderly blind woman and her charge are on their final mission, a trek to a particular gravesite that holds a particular strain of rose. The blind woman has exceptional senses, and an almost spiritual connection with the flowers, a gift the younger woman wishes she could experience. 2+

Remnants
                    (novella) - Earth has been annihilated by the Old Ones and a small family, the boy Vern, his autistic younger sister Echo, their mother Moms and their dog Queenie have starving lives in the forest where they hide. Even thinking of their slaughtered father is enough to alert the Old Ones to their presence and location; they live a miserable existence.

Meanwhile, a crew of surviving Great Ones, mortal enemies of the Old Ones, is on a mission to rescue any survivors. The youngest crew member, Seeker, identifies the telepathic Echo and has sent an image to the girl and the equally telepathic Queenie, of a possible means of escape if they hurry.

Echo cannot speak, but sometime communicates through drawings that Vern and Moms have to decipher. When they are nearly out of food and winter is coming Echo makes a scratch drawing that may be a location and the family decides to figure out where it might be and how to get there.

Next to the novel Dagon this is the longest story in the book. It’s a solid, complicated story as Vern logically tries to deduce what Echo’s drawing could mean and contains the hopelessness associate with the horror of Lovecraft’s creations. The rescuers speak a form of broken English conferred by The Ship so their communication can be harder to follow than you might think. But this all adds to the tension nicely as the window for escape closes.

Anyone unfamiliar with Lovecraft’s world can get a good idea of the power wielded by the creatures mankind is up against in the mythos with the following quote from this novella:

“They
                    (the Old Ones) would not think of hiding or disguising their presences. They do not confer upon us the dignity of being considered their opponents.”
                    3+

Uncle Moon in the Raintree Hill
                    (novelette) - A fanciful tale told from the perspective of two sibling children as they battle their Uncle Moon, who was responsible for their grandmother’s death in their minds, as The Princess of Thieves and her Sturdy Helper. This one is slightly darker than it might sound and an interesting surrealistic fantasy. 3

“There was no way it could have gone wrong, but it had gone all wrong.

“Hooyoo Love” - At first sight a man falls hopelessly in love with a woman when she completely, utterly ignores him. She is a Hooyoo, a human mimicking the Yeunnin, an alien race on Earth completely devoid of all emotion and reaction, so the man becomes one too in order to be with her. 3-

cont'd
                    Last edited by bugen; 06-03-2016, 06:19 AM.
                    -John Barth

Comment

The White Cat (novelette) - William Legrand and Helen Whitman are discussing the demise of Edgar Allen Poe, and Mr. Legrand advances a theory that Mr. Poe was actually murdered with mesmerism enacted by a mysterious Reynolds (who he in real life was raving about immediately prior to his strange death), and was in mortal combat for his life and trapped within horrific visions at the end. 4-

Generally speaking I’m not a huge poetry fan, though I do read some scattered here and there and will sometimes love one or two. This collection contains 12 pages of his poetry, most if which I could go without. Mr. Chappell was known for excellent poems as well as his prose, so before I’m strung up by his fans I can say I did very much enjoy The Sea Text, about the forbidden knowledge, power and uncaring nature of the sea. Rider was also great, about an unknown rider picking up children and spiriting them away to happiness, “to the place near dim and far.” Both were excellent.

The book concludes with an interview by Darrell Schweitzer which has a good deal of biographic material as well as a look back at Mr. Chappell’s career. If you’re one of those that like to know a few real-life details of an author before diving into his fiction, DON’T read it here first. They talk about the surprise ending to one of the stories and this could ruin it for you, so either check out Wikipedia or just wait until you’ve finished the book.

This is an excellent collection of fiction, and while expensive, I’m happy to have picked it up. Centipede outdoes even their normal, top-level production values with the Masters series. The book itself is massive, the paper photo-quality, thick and durable, and there are many illustrations throughout. The cover art is amazing and disturbing, as are some of the color interiors. These stories are often bleak, sad, and the black and white illustrations serve them perfectly.

I’d like to point out if you want to get your feet wet before purchasing something like this you can cover 1/2 of the fiction with the novel Dagon plus the short story collection More Shapes Than One, giving you an excellent idea of what you’ll find here. But if you love it, and you want quality, this is probably the number one book you can purchase. It’s very highly recommended if you like weird, dystopian, dark fiction. This is not the type of horror where limbs are being ripped off, it’s more about the phantom limb where you miss it because it was there, and now it’s gone.

“The most fearful thing about a ghost is that she may not exist.”

4 stars

SAM_5357.jpg

SAM_5362.jpg

SAM_5279.jpg

SAM_5284.jpg

SAM_5314.jpg

SAM_5369.jpg
                      Last edited by bugen; 06-02-2016, 12:21 AM.
                      -John Barth

Comment

Sorry for the massive wall of a review. I tried to figure out how to streamline this, including hiding the 1-sentence short stories, but the reviews of the novel, novella and novelettes dwarf that anyway, so I gave up. There's just a ton of subject material here; the book is huge. And I guess if people are considering spending $200 on a book maybe a long-winded review isn't so bad.

This one just grew out of control, and most of the other Masters books are even bigger.
                        Last edited by bugen; 06-02-2016, 05:02 AM.
                        -John Barth

Comment

Hey all, something happened during the Ellison Wonderland review that got me thinking.

I have very strong feelings on some issues (this one was racism and the climate of relations) that I felt I needed to edit from the review in an effort to keep from offending anyone. Not that my position can’t be defended, but it’s a highly-charged subject and this forum is such an overall positive place I didn’t want to see any of it devolve and it be my fault. Nevertheless, the viewpoint was a solid one and it bothered me not to include it, especially since it piggybacked on one of Mr. Ellison’s stories. And it wasn’t the first time this had happened.

Physical books at the site have been extensively photographed. Some of these books contain 5-10 pics. Some contain 50 or more, I kid you not. If you’re unfamiliar with Centipede’s The Monk or The Golem¸ or Cemetery Dance’s IT, or Subterranean Press’s The Club Dumas, you’ll probably be amazed with the level of artwork and detail these guys put into the productions and I’ve tried to represent it in photos.

Also, feel free to get in spirited arguments with me (or each other) on the site if you have strong opinions! I’ll moderate if anything gets out of hand but am not really expecting situations coming to that. What we’ve got in common as genre and book lovers brings us together more than I would’ve thought—we’re practically family and often present a united front.

I still plan to post in Book Reviews for appropriate books and positive reviews but if I don’t like a book, it’s already been reviewed here, it doesn’t fit the forum or something gets too controversial I’ll post it only on my site instead of censoring or abstaining. And each book review posted at https://bugensbooks.com/ will have as many accompanying photos as necessary to capture the production. The site’s searchable, has an alphabetic index, a pull-down menu by author and is viewable by publisher.

Love it! Looks fantastic! I just read the Ellison's Wonderland review and didn't see anything particularly controversial. What was it you had edited out>
                          Last edited by Theli; 06-04-2016, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                            Love it! Looks fantastic! I just read the Ellison's Wonderland review and didn't see anything particularly controversial. What was it you had edited out>
                            Thanks, Theli!

When I was first writing the Ellison Wonderland post the format was different than most of the ones I'd previously done, where I had little asides here and there when some of Ellison's stories had been built on touchy concepts.

Specifically I had an aside after the write-up of the story, "Mealtime," which is all about racism, where I was harsh with some of the more extreme ends of the Social Justice Warrior crowd. People can be quick to witch-hunt these days and I figured there was a possibility it might not go over too well so decided to scrap the whole format I was messing with and just write it normally.

So what's on my site is still the exact same as the one here on the forum--I'd have to completely rewrite the thing to change it back. It just bugged me afterwards because I though the format was kinda cool, and the aside comments were both funny and true.
                            -John Barth

Comment

Well that's too bad, wish I'd been able to read it. I still enjoyed the current review though!

Comment

I'm sure it'll come up again in a future post, especially with guys like Ellison who really approached this stuff head-on. Looking forward to trying it again, and thanks for you comments!
                                -John Barth

Comment

Working...
                                X