No announcement yet.

Book Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Theli! This thing was twisted...a work of diseased, dark genius. Too much for some, I'm sure, but anyone here is perfectly suited.

And Jeff, if you don't pick up this release, I hope you'll read it another way and pass it on to a deserving friend (or enemy).
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Great review, and, you're right, it's one of Woolrich's best.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post

And Jeff, if you don't pick up this release, I hope you'll read it another way and pass it on to a deserving friend (or enemy).

I look for any excuse to pick up a Centipede Press edition. I recently bought Tem's Out of the Dark from them and it's gorgeous. I haven't read it yet, but I keep staring at it. Hahahaha not the proper way to love a book, I know. I feel like I'm stalking it on the shelf. Eventually I will read it if it doesn't get a restraining order against me.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          I look for any excuse to pick up a Centipede Press edition. I recently bought Tem's Out of the Dark from them and it's gorgeous. I haven't read it yet, but I keep staring at it. Hahahaha not the proper way to love a book, I know. I feel like I'm stalking it on the shelf. Eventually I will read it if it doesn't get a restraining order against me.
          What a great image that is! haha

That is the problem with some limited edition books, you want to read them, as books should be read, but at the same time you don't want to sully them.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
            What a great image that is! haha

That is the problem with some limited edition books, you want to read them, as books should be read, but at the same time you don't want to sully them.
            I don't know what the HELL I'm going to do when I get my remarqued AE of The Shining! With all the restored material, it MUST be read. But I am a filthy mortal whose pores secrete unholy oils! I am not worthy of handling this book!

Comment

Soft gloves me friend!

Which Remarque did you get? I got a Maitz remarque in my GE copy. Though I did order an AE copy from PS as well.

Comment

Soft gloves me friend!

Which Remarque did you get? I got a Maitz remarque in my GE copy. Though I did order an AE copy from PS as well.
                I went with Chadbourne. I was trying to ease my spending. I wanted both. But I just couldn't justify spending that much. It was tough. Thankfully, I think I remember the remarques going quickly and I didn't have the option to add Maitz. Here I am hoping that I won't win the lottery for Gwendy for the exact same reason--to save me since I don't have the self control to say no.

I almost bought the GE so I could have that as my reading copy! I guess that's exactly what I would do in your situation. As it is, I'm going to have to get gloves and a sterile "clean room" to read my copy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  I went with Chadbourne. I was trying to ease my spending. I wanted both. But I just couldn't justify spending that much. It was tough. Thankfully, I think I remember the remarques going quickly and I didn't have the option to add Maitz. Here I am hoping that I won't win the lottery for Gwendy for the exact same reason--to save me since I don't have the self control to say no.

I almost bought the GE so I could have that as my reading copy! I guess that's exactly what I would do in your situation. As it is, I'm going to have to get gloves and a sterile "clean room" to read my copy.
                  Don't forget to lazer remove every hair on your body!

Comment

Don't forget to lazer remove every hair on your body!
                    I was thinking of getting the "bunny suit" that the nanotech engineers wear.

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                      Well, looks like I'm buying Rendezvous in Black. And I'll have to stay off the LRB site for a while so I don't see any pics of Gwendy! You broke my heart, Gwendy! Congrats to all who won the chance to buy the limited!!

Comment

A Long December by Richard Chizmar
                        Published by Subteranean Press (Signed hardbound $40.00 sold out)
                        Also available from Amazon (Paperback @24.95 and eBook $6.99)https://www.amazon.com/Long-December...ichard+chizmar

I will start with full disclosure. I love short stories and anthologies. With that said this has risen to one of my top anthologies of all time. I have read the occasional story by Mr. Chizmar in the past and was always pleased with what he wrote. The stories range in length form under 5 pages to over 70 with many falling in the 10 page range. With some authors I struggle with getting fully involved in a story when it is only 10 pages. That is one of the reasons I appreciate an author who successfully pulls me into a story that is only 10 pages. A Long December manages to do this repeatedly. The range of emotions, many of the stories come at you full throttle and leave you speechless while others simply haunt you long after you turn the page.

Many of the stories are worth the price of admission alone including the Novella a Long December which gives this anthology its name and cover art.

A Long December.jpg

Many of the stories in this anthology have remained in my thoughts long after I finished reading them.

5 Stars!

Comment

Agreed -- A LONG DECEMBER was a very fine collection, and one I enjoyed very much as well.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I really need to track down a copy of A Long December. I kept putting off picking it up and now I feel like a really missed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              A Long December by Richard Chizmar
                              I've read about half of this one with his collection Midnight Promises and really liked it. Received a PDF of A Long December a while back but that format's a little difficult to read on e-ink screens--finishing up the collection keeps getting put on the back burner.
                              -John Barth

Comment

The Parasite - Ramsey Campbell

She was edging closer to the brink of what she had used to believe was reality. Nothing seemed solid enough to comfort her now.

Avid horror readers know something of the occult, even if only by osmosis. Because the field is rife with reports of secret knowledge, taboo by entrenched religion, firmly believed in by loudmouth crackpots and quietly practiced by intelligentsia, a fertile ground for authors has been established and countless books have been written. Some hint at it, some touch on it, and this novel dwells on it.

The story focuses on one of the main tenants of modern occultism, astral projection. Rose experiences a kind of spiritual awakening and is terrified as she’s pulled away from her life into a darkened realm without warning—repeatedly. She seeks help and begins adapting to her awareness, reading and researching, and her studies lead her to historical occurrences of Hitler’s occult research, the Rosicrucians, the Order of the Golden Dawn, and many other references to a very real, very colorful occult past.

Rose’s confidence grows and her new strengths begin affecting her behavior in negative ways, but she quickly learns she may not have as much control over the magic as she thought.

The quiet terror of facing the unknown space of astral projection takes time to develop as the young acolyte embarks on her first journeys. When Rose begins overcoming her fear of the nightmarish realm and begins embracing her new power, fear gives way to elation. But the bulk of the story occurs as she goes deeper and confronts the changes occurring within her. Her increasing ability to control her travels gives her a bravado that only lasts until she realizes just how far out of her depth she’s gone. Her excitement gives way to terror again, and yes, all of this takes time. Rushing through it would diminish the journey, and the psychological impact of these powers needs its space on the page.

They said it was slow, those reviewers who’d posted the comments read before deciding to pick this one up. But just because a book doesn’t have monstrous evil plucking the legs off helpless humans all the way through doesn’t mean you have a slow book. This one’s effective, and more so that it takes the time required to bring the reader along on Rose’s journey. There are terrifying passages in the book, and while it does accelerate near the end, these faster-paced sequences are no more horrific than those of a young magician’s sanity progressively being threatened by forces unknown.

The Parasite is scary, and if you have a little patience and let the atmosphere congeal around you, choking you towards the same oblivion as Rose, you’re in for one hell of ride—very, very highly recommended.

It was the ultimate childhood nightmare of being lost in the dark–and the dark was reaching out for her with its infinite limbs.

4+

SAM_0054.jpg

SAM_0003.jpg

SAM_0042.jpg

SAM_0032.jpg

SAM_9998.jpg

SAM_0037.jpg
                                -John Barth

Comment

Working...
                                X