No announcement yet.

Book Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A while back I'd tried reading Collins' Quarry's Ex, at the time I didn't realize it was part of a series, and maybe it's just a weak point in the career, but it was terrible. I read maybe 2 or 3 chapters and Collins' writing was so weak an uninspired I couldn't force myself to read more. I know that's not a lot to read of a novel, but it is a enough to feel an authors style. One day I may tackle his work again, as I did like the Ms. Tree and Road to Perdition graphic novels.

Hitman, though, I have a copy but have not tackled yet. I will eventually, as I did enjoy Burglars Can't be Choosers. The thing with extended series is that I rarely come back for more, but I do enjoy at least reading the first novel.
    Last edited by Theli; 02-15-2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post

Hitman, though, I have a copy but have not tackled yet. I will eventually . . . The thing with extended series is that I rarely come back for more
      If I were a betting man, I'm going to bet that the Hitman/Keller series will be the exception to your rule.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Well, the Keller series, at least in the beginning, feels like a collection of short stories, so it's easy to pick up and put down. The guy is prolific for sure. I like most of his stuff and many of his series books read as stand alones to me.

Comment

Pick-Up - Charles Willeford

Sober, I was always embarrassed about my appearance, but I didn’t intend to stay sober very long.

(Posting this here because, while it's decidedly crime, not horror, it's one of the darkest books I've ever read.)

An extraordinarily bleak tale, even for the noir genre, Pick-Up is the story of a failed artist, now a grill man in San Francisco, working just enough to make sure he’s able to keep up his gin habit. A beautiful, drunken young woman walks into the diner and Harry quits his job in order to drink with her, immediately and constantly. The two have a crash of a relationship at the bottom of the bottle, and enter into a suicide pact to rid themselves of the world and be together eternally.

There’s a lot more to it than that, but it unfolds much better naturally than in summary. The story is dark, suggesting things about life that are generally best left unsaid, though much of this occurs between the lines; it’s dangerous to look too closely, and much of this book does exactly that. Some are going to consider this book a meditation on the negative effects of alcoholism, but those guys just missed the story, and if you listen closely you can hear the whoosh as it sails over their heads. Alcohol wasn’t the disease, it was the treatment. And that’s exactly why this book was so dark.

This is a fascinating subject, but delving any deeper isn’t really suitable for discussion in writing. These things are best discussed in bars where they can be quickly forgotten.

Another champion entry from Library of America’s American Noir set, Pick-Up is an outstanding novel. Anyone whose thoughts even occasionally, remotely approach suicidal, you might want to stay out of this one's way, for here lies the bottom rung of the world's ladder.

In that instant I loved her more than I had ever loved her before. Such faith and trust were almost enough to take the curse out of the world. Almost.

4+ stars

SAM_9047.jpg

SAM_9022.jpg

SAM_8953.jpg

SAM_9031.jpg

SAM_9023.jpg

SAM_9035.jpg
          Last edited by bugen; 02-21-2017, 06:33 AM.
          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Another great review. I have American Noir 30's and 40's, and I knew of the 50's volume, but I hadn't realized they were released together in a slipcased set. They are great copies with tons of great stories.

Comment

I have both books (outstanding volumes!), but not this slipcased set...very attractive. You're right about the paper stock...kind of fragile, given that its so thin.

The video review was nice to see...didn't realize you did these. I'll have to check and see if you have more.

Love Willeford. If you're looking for more, hit me up for recs.

As far as the two collections go, I hope you'll also take an opportunity to read the Goodis and McCoy novels as well. No offense to the other fine authors included, but Cain, McCoy, Woolrich, Thompson, Willeford, and Goodis are all just spectacular reads. McCoy is kind of the forgotten among them, which is really a shame, as he's every bit as compelling. I wouldn't go so far as to say that THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? is his best work (I'd give that one, probably, to KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE), but I do understand why they chose that one, his most popular.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                I have both books (outstanding volumes!), but not this slipcased set...very attractive. You're right about the paper stock...kind of fragile, given that its so thin.

The video review was nice to see...didn't realize you did these. I'll have to check and see if you have more.

Love Willeford. If you're looking for more, hit me up for recs.

As far as the two collections go, I hope you'll also take an opportunity to read the Goodis and McCoy novels as well. No offense to the other fine authors included, but Cain, McCoy, Woolrich, Thompson, Willeford, and Goodis are all just spectacular reads. McCoy is kind of the forgotten among them, which is really a shame, as he's every bit as compelling. I wouldn't go so far as to say that THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? is his best work (I'd give that one, probably, to KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE), but I do understand why they chose that one, his most popular.
                I'd read They Shoot Horses, Don't They? from this anthology last year. Very interesting and unique read. Dark, depressing, insightful, yet also a bit humorous. In a way I could even draw comparison's to Steinbeck, in that both were very insightful yet potentially satirical at times, especially for that period in time around the Great Depression.

I didn't get the chance to view the video yet since I'm at work. The pages are really thin, but they feel like quality stock. I like the edition overall.

Comment

By the way, if you're interested in boosting your views, you may want to include the authors' name in the video title...with just the book title (e.g. PICK-UP, COMPLETE SLAYERS, et al), there aren't going to many who are able to find your videos with a typical search, which would be unfortunate as the couple I've now watched are great.

Comment

Thanks guys, and thanks Ron for the tip on the video titles; I'll do that. I've only recorded a few of these, and even over those few they've changed somewhat. I think I like them better not as short reviews themselves but as augments for the written reviews and picture elements, focusing on the publisher's physical presentation. People should be able to get a much better idea of the tactile feel of the specific book by seeing it manipulated on video. I probably won't go back to older reviews but want to try to include something like this going forward, especially on limited editions.
                    -John Barth

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                      I think I like them better not as short reviews themselves but as augments for the written reviews and picture elements, focusing on the publisher's physical presentation.
                      That's what I was really taken with. There are a myriad of places where you can read reviews of the books themselves, but for those already familiar with the text but considering a $40+ limited edition purchase, there's nowhere to learn more about the presentation and production values, for the most part...so capturing that in your reviews is, I think, smart and very appreciated.

Comment

Posting this next one because while it's brilliant crime fiction, it's also horrific in ways you'll find shocking and compelling. This one's going to knock the socks off those who read it (and as of this post Centipede still has a few copies left).
                        Last edited by bugen; 03-09-2017, 06:44 AM.
                        -John Barth

Comment

Rendezvous in Black - Cornell Woolrich

“I haven’t an enemy in the world.”
                          “No man can safely say that until after his death.”

A young man meets the love of his life every day at 8 p.m. in front of the local drugstore. One days he’s running a couple of minutes late, and when he arrives she’s been killed and is lying in the street among shards of glass. He sets his watch for slightly before 8 p.m. and stops it, to remain at the time forever after.

He’s constantly found at the spot of the former lovers, until the regular beat cop is replaced by the new guy who drives him off. Then the nightmare begins as young Johnny embarks on an unstoppable murder spree to rival anything you’ve ever read in terms of cruelty. He tortures his victims; not the torture of flayed skin and raw nerves—that stuff’s for rookies. Real torture, the kind that works on the mind, is his weapon. The kind that forces the victim to be aware the world is cruel, dispassionate, and unfair. The kind which you go to your grave knowing you were tortured, beaten, and everything you cared about has been ripped away from you forever.

What’s so effective here is your own yearn for justice as this poor kid has his world disintegrate. The young love so passionately, leaving the world behind, and we remember this no matter how jaded, no matter how many divorces or betrayals we’ve gone through--we can still remember our pasts when those loves meant more than everything. So when it happens to Johnny it strikes a nerve.

Then when he goes about the business of tracking down any and all responsible for his loss with the aim of causing them the same pain, we get attached to the victims' relationships and that strikes a nerve, too. So we’re being hit from both sides. Even during the carnage the author ping-pongs this successfully.

The investigator assigned to the first case, Cameron, is another compelling character. Approaching everything as if he’s new to it, he bumbles through situations on the outside while shrewdly calculating on the inside, paving the way for detectives like Columbo. He’s an excellent sleuth, but it almost doesn’t seem to matter as his opponent brings a supernatural-like omniscience up against his victims. He will not be stopped. For anything.

Having now finished the six Black novels, I can say this is undoubtedly the best. Woolrich may have written another novel that reaches the same heights this one did, but he did not beat it. Novels like this are never beaten by anyone. They can be equaled, but only by the masterpiece.

This book breaks your heart as you hold your breath, and it absolutely is not to be missed.

When you want to believe, you believe.

5 stars

DOROTHY
                          I shall be waiting

SAM_8809.jpg

SAM_9254.jpg

SAM_9258.jpg

SAM_9268.jpg

SAM_9292.jpg

SAM_8813.jpg
                          Last edited by bugen; 03-10-2017, 03:17 AM.
                          -John Barth

Comment

I did not need to read this. I should not go anywhere near my credit card until this fever dies.

Comment

Another top notch write up! I really need to start up the Woolrich books.

Comment

If I don't get picked in the lottery for Gwendy, I'm buying this.

Comment

Working...
                                X