Question regarding Stephen King's thoughts on S/L edition books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
    I agree that the secondary market can be outrageous but then I think that if I want cheap limiteds I should just collect books that no one wants to read and collect.
    I don't mind the price when I feel I am getting what I paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
      The Centipede Press signed limited is probably my least favorite signed King that I have. It's such a dust collector!! Yikes!
      Awesome, Brad! I didn't realise you have a signed copy of this book. What number do you have?
      "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
      - Stephen King

Comment

I'll have to check at home. I am going to guess #24 because I often ask for that one

Comment

I often think of selling it because of the dust issue, but my wife always tells me that I will regret giving it up. If it wasn't "Salem's Lot", I probably would sell it.

I do still have the signed/limited of Wizard Glass with the tiny flaw on the corner of the sig page up for sale once I figure out what it's worth. W&G is going.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24
            I often think of selling it because of the dust issue, but my wife always tells me that I will regret giving it up. If it wasn't "Salem's Lot", I probably would sell it.

I do still have the signed/limited of Wizard Glass with the tiny flaw on the corner of the sig page up for sale once I figure out what it's worth. W&G is going.
            You probably would regret selling it Brad, it is already worth an absolute fortune but it will be worth even more in years to come.

You're not a fan of Wizard and Glass either then?
            "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
            - Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
              You probably would regret selling it Brad, it is already worth an absolute fortune but it will be worth even more in years to come.

You're not a fan of Wizard and Glass either then?
              No, I actually love W&G. I have the complete set of Grant editions from Gunslinger (2nd printing) through the later artist editions. Originally, I had the limiteds of 4-7, but as W&G had the flaw, I did not try to sell it. It's a very small area in tghe inner corner of the sig page that has a weird defect in the paper, it feels rougher and thinner than the rest of the page. I didn't want to try to sell it as new/new because while it is new, it had that minor flaw. I do want to sell it though.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                The Centipede Press signed limited is probably my least favorite signed King that I have. It's such a dust collector!! Yikes!
                I agree. That's one of the reasons I've left my copy (#273) in the original shipping box. When and if I ever get a book case with a glass door, I'll move it there.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jhanic View Post
                  I agree. That's one of the reasons I've left my copy (#273) in the original shipping box. When and if I ever get a book case with a glass door, I'll move it there.

John
                  Smart movie. It cleans off fine, but it's just annoying.

Comment

I love my s/l copy of CP The Shining. I'm so happy I was able to get it during the original sale. It's one of the favorite books I own, even if it is a dust collector.

What I don't get about King's statements and attitude is that if he doesn't like the Limiteds, he doesn't have to approve them or sign them. He may not do the design, but he has the ultimate say on if they exist or not. Maybe he was just complaining about the collector mentality more than the books themselves.
                    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE
                      I love my s/l copy of CP The Shining. I'm so happy I was able to get it during the original sale. It's one of the favorite books I own, even if it is a dust collector.

What I don't get about King's statements and attitude is that if he doesn't like the Limiteds, he doesn't have to approve them or sign them. He may not do the design, but he has the ultimate say on if they exist or not. Maybe he was just complaining about the collector mentality more than the books themselves.
                      Shining?? You mean Salem's Lot?

Comment

Yes I mean 'Salem's Lot. Doh!
                        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE
                          ...What I don't get about King's statements and attitude is that if he doesn't like the Limiteds, he doesn't have to approve them or sign them. He may not do the design, but he has the ultimate say on if they exist or not. Maybe he was just complaining about the collector mentality more than the books themselves.
                          Reading his comments made me want to open up all my collectibles and read through them just so I could say they aren't just sitting around.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                            Reading his comments made me want to open up all my collectibles and read through them just so I could say they aren't just sitting around.
                            Do you actually read them? Seems like most people do not. I do, although very carefully.

Comment

I don't see a problem with actually using them if properly cared for. I would rather use them and get a little wear than leave them sealed in a box where they can't be fully enjoyed. I liked how King said he liked to see worn copies because it shows they've been enjoyed. A painting on a wall is easy to appreciate because it's all out there to see. A book that is never opened is only showing a fraction of the effort that is put into its contents - the paper, the artwork, even the smell (yes, we're back to the smell ). I do like to buy sealed copies but I also feel like the person that's had it before me hasn't been able to enjoy them for the work of art that it is.
                              That said, everyone collects in their own way.

Comment

I read all my limiteds, albeit very carefully. I don't recall ever beating my meat over them though...

I do agree with Stephen King that all books should be read, there is no point having them sitting on a shelf as a mere trophy. I will never spend so much on a book that I dare not read it as that would be just a waste of money.
                                - Stephen King

Comment

Working...
                                X