Professional movers damaged my collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    First rule of Book Collecting: Never, under any circumstances other than a death bed, ever, ever, let the wife know what a book costs!!!! They are all "$50" at the most!!! Also, hide all CC statements under penalty of death!!!! LOL LOL LOL
    You forgot honey the book was $50 but then there was a coupon.Also well this was ordered 2 years ago and is just finally being released..

Comment

Or just say you ordered it a while ago and don't remember when exactly. And of course say you had a gift certificate, though probably should only do that if you really did use one, lol I am almost to a point where I can't do that anymore
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

You guys are doin it wrong!

"Honey, the book was free. All they want me to do is write up a review..."

Comment

I usually got with its one of the ones I ordered way back in Feb when I spent myeftover christmas funds. 90% of the time recently that was true.

Comment

Teri, we didn't know that you also had a wife who controlled your wallet and gave you the evil eye when a package showed up on the door step!

Comment

I tried that once when I purchased a lap top.I got the look and a giant head shake.I even wrote a letter and stuck it in the bottom of the box to try and prove my point.Well I am not the greatest speller and I signed it in my own name.She did not by that one at all.Worse she was right the lap top was nothing but trouble.
              Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
              You guys are doin it wrong!

"Honey, the book was free. All they want me to do is write up a review..."

Comment

Teri your wife?..
                Teri, we didn't know that you also had a wife who controlled your wallet and gave you the evil eye when a package showed up on the door step!

Comment

No wife but I am living with my parents who only let us move in so we could save up to buy a house...not books

Comment

Well you could buy a house of books.

Comment

Well the house is no longer an option at all considering the situation...hopefully once I move many more books WILL be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                        You forgot honey the book was $50 but then there was a coupon.Also well this was ordered 2 years ago and is just finally being released..
                        Mine didn't believe this one even when it was true. (The recent arrival of "Four Ghosts")
                        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Neither did mine but it was worth a shot.Actually my excuses have now turned into quite the little game between us.I am so lucky she puts up with it.

Comment

bstee...

Find them online and print out a page for the most expensive copy you find for sale. Buy the furniture now to get in the wife's good graces but tell her you will be slowly replacing the books. Then you can just sneak in a few extras here and there.

Comment

This is hopefully nearing completion. I submitted everything yesterday and it is the third time it has gone in. First I sent in the list of books, description and prices paid and now replacement values so they sent an adjuster out. He came out, took photos and agreed they were all damaged (I ended up claiming only 17 of them, more were damaged but these got it the worst and were all $100+). They then rejected the claim and said I needed to get an estimate on "fixing" each book so they could see if the price was more or less than replacement. For a lot of them they are gold leaf and simply no way to fix. Regardless I tried to explain a "fixed" book will always be worth less than a mint state book.

Still they refused to do anything without statements. I tried everything I could think of and eventually got three high quality book sellers to respond that these types of repairs would deminish values and be quite expensive. I also sent a revised pricelist (one of the books damaged went from $1100 to $1700 in the last few months). Hopefully this will suffice this time. If they offer me a partial settlement and let me keep them, I am happy to let anyone get a great deal on these though most are not the types of books we collect here. The only one from CD was "The Strain" and hopefully I can buy a case to keep my numbering for the trilogy. The only other book that may appeal to folks here is the very first publication of "The Fight Club". It was not a book though. When originally published it was in a self-published art house type collection of short stories. i think it was only about 8 pages long. It is pretty cool but I hoping they take these and just replace them all now. Sorry for the long an winding thread.

Comment

What a pain in the ass. Still hoping it works out for you. Insurance companies can be shameless.
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X