Advice Please! Reading IT 25th Anniversary Edition by CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Please! Reading IT 25th Anniversary Edition by CD

Hello all, I was lucky enough to get my hands on the mint copy of IT 25th anniversary edition from Cemetery Dance (it wasn't cheap). To say that the book is gorgeous would be an understatement. In fact, I'm apprehensive to read the book for fear of damaging it - the extra large size and weight makes it a real cumbersome book to handle. I can't image reading this book while lying on a couch or in bed. I can just see the spine of the book turning into mush over the next few weeks.

Anyway, I was just wondering what others have done with this sort of book. Do most of you simply collect and store it away and perhaps read a cheaper version? Or do you actually read the book. Like I said, it's a beautiful book and I would hate for it to be damaged in the process of reading.

Any tips or advice would certainly be appreciated and I thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Wicked Jester; 07-13-2017, 02:18 AM.

Originally posted by Wicked Jester View Post
    Hello all, I was lucky enough to get my hands on the mint copy of IT 25th anniversary edition from Cemetery Dance (it wasn't cheap). To say that the book is gorgeous would be an understatement. In fact, I'm apprehensive to read the book for fear of damaging it - the extra large size and weight makes it a real cumbersome book to handle. I can't image reading this book while lying on a couch or in bed. I can just see the spine of the book turning in to mush over the next few weeks.

Anyway, I was just wondering what others have done with this sort of book. Do most of you simply collect and store it away and perhaps read a cheaper version? Or do you actually read the book. Like I said, it's a beautiful book and I would hate for it to be damaged in the process of reading.

I like to read my limited edition books but have several that are cumbersome to read. The Cemetery Dance version if It is in that category. I have taken two approaches. The first is reading the book sitting up in a chair with the book in my lap. The other is to just read a different version of the book. I will say that I have reading Cemetery Dance books for 19 years and have yet to have an issue with the binding on one. The smith sewn binding is light years ahead of a glued binding. I will add that I am very careful with all of my books.

Congratulations on adding this spectacular book to your book shelf!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Jester View Post
      Hello all, I was lucky enough to get my hands on the mint copy of IT 25th anniversary edition from Cemetery Dance (it wasn't cheap). To say that the book is gorgeous would be an understatement. In fact, I'm apprehensive to read the book for fear of damaging it - the extra large size and weight makes it a real cumbersome book to handle. I can't image reading this book while lying on a couch or in bed. I can just see the spine of the book turning in to mush over the next few weeks.

Here's how I feel about it: books are meant to be experienced. I want to experience the words and the art within the story together. So I won't buy a reader's copy to read instead of the limiteds I pay good money for. I'm just more careful with them.

I can't imagine how much you paid for IT. It's going anywhere from $400 to $700. (Though I saw one fool sell it on eBay with a buy it now price of $180!!!!) So I can imagine your apprehension. If I were you, I'd take the dust jacket off and read it in the same room I stored it so it doesn't have to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
        I can't imagine how much you paid for IT. It's going anywhere from $400 to $700.
        Well...I was really lucky. I purchased the book (in mint unread condition) for only $280 on ebay.

Comment

It depends on how many times I've read the book before. With SK books, I've read them all multiple times, so when I get the CD editions I generally just page through them to check out the artwork. One exception is The Shining, which I'm going to read because of the extra material, and I haven't read it in many years.

As long as you're careful with the books, they will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
            It depends on how many times I've read the book before. With SK books, I've read them all multiple times, so when I get the CD editions I generally just page through them to check out the artwork.
            For me, this will be a first time read of IT.

Comment

Congratulations! CD's IT must be one of the most beautiful King editions ever - whichever edition, gift, S/L or lettered.
              It would be such a shame not to read the book. I mean, that's what it's there for.
              Don't leave it stored away in a box, nor unread on your shelves: dive in and read it!
              Very carefully, mind you.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                Congratulations! CD's IT must be one of the most beautiful King editions ever - whichever edition, gift, S/L or lettered.
                It would be such a shame not to read the book. I mean, that's what it's there for.
                Don't leave it stored away in a box, nor unread on your shelves: dive in and read it!
                Very carefully, mind you.

sk
                Yes, I agree. Its a gorgeous edition. Thanks again for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X