• Show
Clear All

Poe

by Stewart O'Nan
    foreword by Roger Corman

Featuring Frontispieces by Jill Bauman

Out of Print (Sold Out Pre-Publication)

About the Book:
    In this fascinating, unproduced screenplay, Stewart O'Nan offers readers a unique perspective into the life and mind of the classic horror writer, Edgar Allan Poe. Much of O'Nan's inspiration, of course, comes from Poe's written work, and one of the many pleasures of this screenplay is how it dramatizes the origin of iconic stories or poems: a distraught glance in the mirror predicts the doppelgänger of "William Wilson," or the distracting chatter of birds suggests the idea of "The Raven." O'Nan sorts through the representations and misrepresentations of Poe's many biographers—including his enemy turned literary executor, Rufus Griswold—to produce a multi-faceted portrait of this famous, and famously troubled, writer.

Admirers of Poe's influential writings will recognize their favorite author in this screenplay, which is simultaneously a realistic look at his life, an homage to the gothic castles and mist-shrouded forests of classic B-Movies, and a sometimes-surreal meditation on Poe's addictions, obsessions, and inspirations. These pages depict a "bloodier, sexier Poe," as he might have been directed in a film by Pier Paolo Pasolini—a depiction O'Nan hopes will appeal to fans of Roger Corman and Federico Fellini alike.

Featuring a special introduction from horror film legend Roger Corman, this unique production is only available as a Lonely Road Books special edition.

About the Special Features:
    With an oversized page size and an extremely low print run, Poe by Stewart O'Nan is being designed with the ultimate collectors in mind.

Each edition will feature a deluxe binding selected from the finest materials available. The Limited Edition will be housed in a custom-made slipcase and the Lettered Edition will be protected by a custom-made traycase.

Each edition features a unique frontispiece painted by acclaimed artist Jill Bauman. You can see the Lettered Edition's artwork on this page.

Limitation Information:
    • Limited Edition: 200 copies, signed by the author and the artist on a specially illustrated signature page, bound in a deluxe material, with a frontispiece created specifically for this edition, and housed in a custom-made slipcase ($100)

• Lettered Edition: 26 copies, with all the special features of the Limited Edition, a different type of high quality binding, a different frontispiece, and all housed in a custom-made deluxe traycase ($300)
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

I missed out on this initially but was able to score a copy later. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, read it all in one day.

Comment

yeah, this was a fine book. glad I got one.
      Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I passed on this. At the time I had only read O'Nan's Red Sox Non Fiction work. I have since read some of his fiction and regret not ordering this. He is a very good story teller. I also want the Monsters Chap Book that came with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          I passed on this. At the time I had only read O'Nan's Red Sox Non Fiction work. I have since read some of his fiction and regret not ordering this. He is a very good story teller. I also want the Monsters Chap Book that came with this.
          I have been a huge fan of O'Nan's work for a long time, maybe since Snow Angels. You never know what he's going to write next, no two books are the same, and even when he writes something I didn't think I would like, I end up liking it!

Monsters is one of my favorite short stories of his, and I love how the chapbook turned out. I hope you can find one on the secondary market!

Brian
          Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
          My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

I am still working my way through O'Nan's work but my favorite so far is 'A Song for the Missing'. I was able to read Monster's when it was reprinted. I am not able to remember what is was reprinted in but I really enjoyed the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I am still working my way through O'Nan's work but my favorite so far is 'A Song for the Missing'. I was able to read Monster's when it was reprinted. I am not able to remember what is was reprinted in but I really enjoyed the story.
              CD #61. I might have arranged that because I wanted more readers to read it. I think it then got reprinted somewhere else, too...

Brian
              Brian James Freeman

Comment

I think Poe has to be the greatest writer of horror poems/short stories in history. Maybe Lovecraft can come close, but Poe is still number one to me.

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                  I think Poe has to be the greatest writer of horror poems/short stories in history. Maybe Lovecraft can come close, but Poe is still number one to me.
                  Love Poe
                  Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I hate that I missed this! I discovered Poe as a kid watching the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror. (the first one I believe) Bart was telling the story of the Raven. I started to read Poe stories and I genuinely scared the living daylights out of myself. It was my first real introduction to horror fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup View Post
                      I hate that I missed this! I discovered Poe as a kid watching the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror. (the first one I believe) Bart was telling the story of the Raven. I started to read Poe stories and I genuinely scared the living daylights out of myself. It was my first real introduction to horror fiction.
                      That's just freaking awesome! The Simpsons introduced you to E.A.P. I love it and for some strange reason this makes me feel old.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

My favorite story by Poe has to be The cask of Amontillado. The first line was sheer brilliance. Love me some Edgar, ya'll.

Randar

Comment

I would love to see someone do a nice edition of the complete stories of EAP. The trade hardcovers out there that I've seen are not very impressive.

Comment

Wow I didn't realize it went OOP so quickly. I have the limited but don't even remember when it arrived. I just have to get organized one of these days...but it is a great book.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                              That's just freaking awesome! The Simpsons introduced you to E.A.P. I love it and for some strange reason this makes me feel old.
                              That really is awesome, isn't it? Way back in the day, I had an English teacher/yearbook advisor in high school who asked me if I could record that episode for her to use in one of her classes...

Brian
                              Brian James Freeman

Comment

Working...
                              X